Re: What is diversity really?
From: Ambrose McNibble (a-mcnibbleComcast.net)
Date: Sat, 6 Sep 2008 19:08:41 -0700 (PDT)
Naomi
You can certainly look up 'diversity' in Websters, but that will only tell you what the word is, not what the thing is. I do however have a subjective test that has served a number of groups and individuals well in deciding whether they were in situations that included diversity:

"If =you= are not a little bit uncomfortable, =you= are not in a situation that includes diversity."

As another responder pointed out, this is never easy to achieve or maintain in any situation where individuals are more-or-less free to come and go with little personal commitment to the ideal of diversity.

I believe this lack of tolerance for the discomfort of diversity is an American cultural trait (that we actively export around the world). You probably don't want to get me started about what I believe are the reasons behind it and the way it's taught, spread and reinforced.

I will note that in my experience, people who are minorities, people that are 'different' - particularly those that are persecuted socially or otherwise discriminated against because of their differences - seem to be a lot more tolerant of situations that include diversity than people whose situation has always been to be accepted as part of some group.

I have no idea if these thoughts will help you sort out your issue, but since you asked I offer them for what they're worth.

A.M.

naomi meyer Wrote:
As potential cohousers our multi-racial family considers ethnic diversity a priority as we seek out a community. While visiting & researching communities we've been pondering some theories as to why there is not as much diversity in cohousing.

The general aim of cohousing is to create community. I think minorities in a majority culture , specifically people of color, do a better job of creating and maintaining community out of necessity. In my experience it's not uncommon to have multi generational families or even extended family (cousins, kinship, etc) as a part of a person of color's close family community. I think it is a strong cultural aspect of minority communities. In my personal experience as a member of a minority group as a queer person, I find that queer communities often create a strong support system in the midst of a majority culture. Perhaps this leads to less diversity in co-housing? Perhaps people of color are less likely to seek co-housing community for these

reasons?
What do you think?

Naomi
(Still narrowing down our cohousing community choices)