Re: Communal food buying
From: Rob Sandelin (floriferousmsn.com)
Date: Tue, 9 Sep 2008 21:01:17 -0700 (PDT)
If there are natural food coops in your part of the state find out who
delivers to them.  Getting a bulk food delivery means getting on a delivery
route, and this requires setting up accounts, making minimum orders, and
usually establishing a credit reference.  We have been doing a monthly bulk
food delivery for many years now, keeping a small pantry but adequate of
things in the commonhouse and supporting individual household orders.  We
set ourselves up as a food coop and so we get a wholesale price.  However,
we have found that some things can be procured cheaper, and better products
by shopping the large food distributor called Costco in our area.  We also
do some buys from farmers and other sources.  We have a Bulk food team who
handles this and they do a fabulous job of providing us the opportunity to
get good quality food at good prices. We have set up a budget process which
allows us to make a monthly buy then bill out at the end of the month rather
than trying to handle individual payments from each household on delivery.

Rob Sandelin
Sharingwood
Snohomish County, WA