A Conversation on the Economic Crisis: How To Do It?
From: Donna Freiermuth (editorcohousing.org)
Date: Tue, 7 Oct 2008 13:38:55 -0700 (PDT)
Because the economy is so much on everyone's mind, Coho/US plans to host a conversation to discuss what the economic crisis means for cohousers and those attempting to get into cohousing.

We're thinking that a phone conversation with the leaders of our movement would offer a chance to gain from their perspectives. Here's where we are in our planning:

   *     Cohousing activist Rob Sandelin has agreed to moderate.
   *     Rick Mockler would represent Coho/US.
   *     Jim Leach or Katie McCamant will speak for CoHousing Partners
     and other professionals
   *     Laura Fitch has also been invited to speak for professionals.
         (If you're unfamiliar with any name, just Google it with
     "cohousing").
   *     Are there other constituencies that need to be represented?

Some of the considerations:

   * We'd like to keep it as low cost as possible, but Coho/US isn't
     flush so we do need to cover our costs (and if it makes a tiny
     profit, that will be used to bring more programs in the future).
   * Can we do it by telephone? The challenge is that if dozens of
     people call up, how do we control the noise from all those phone;
     how do we moderate the speakers? Does this mean it needs to be a
     webinar just so we have that phone control? Any one know of a
     really reasonable conference call vendor (with controls) we should
     look into?
   * We thought we would schedule it for some time during a weekend so
     that anyone can call free from their cell phones --  phone charges
     won't be an issue.

So what are your thoughts about how we should do it? We'll make a decision fairly soon and would really appreciate your input.

How soon should we hold the conversation given that we need to publicize it? Maybe right after the election?

Other thoughts?

In community,

donna

Donna Freiermuth