Re: Consensus
From: Brian Bartholomew (bbstat.ufl.edu)
Date: Thu, 9 Oct 2008 09:04:34 -0700 (PDT)
> http://www.motherjones.com/news/feature/2006/11/13th_tipping_point.html

        despite the predictions of game theory, which in its simplest
        guise posits that cheaters will beat altruists every time.

I think that's untrue and misleading.  The simplest games do favor
cheaters over cooperators, but dolphins or any other animal that lives
in a group are not playing that simplest game.  In the games they do
play, cooperation is rewarded.  Therefore this animal behavior is not
contrary to the predictions of game theory; and also how can we call a
rewarded behavior altruistic?  More information is at:

        http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Prisoner's_dilemma

                                                        Brian