Re: Did your community celebrate last night?
From: Ann Zabaldo (zabaldoearthlink.net)
Date: Wed, 5 Nov 2008 09:51:07 -0800 (PST)
Hello all!

I've been reading all the posts on how communities celebrated the election last night. An historic moment. I share in your joy.

I also have a question that's been on my mind for a few years ...

Is there room for conservatives in cohousing? Or are we islands of liberal/progressive thought? (Not saying this is "bad" or "wrong." -- just curious ...)

The reason I got involved in cohousing is that I immediately saw this social structure as one road to peace in the world. (If we can figure out how to live together in small communities maybe we can tackle the Middle East.) So I'm always looking for mutuality, inclusivity and connection in cohousing.

I know there ARE some conservative folks in cohousing -- out there somewhere -- but I wonder how welcome we make them feel when it looks as if there is "A" kind of political leaning?

For instance ... the question posed in this thread wasn't:

What did your community do on election night?

But rather:

Did your community CELEBRATE last night?   (emphasis mine)

The implication of this question is that clearly cohousing and cohousers are Obama supporters. Which is highly likely TRUE ... I'm just wondering where "inclusivity" and "diversity" are in this picture?

Personally, I've always understood cohousing to be non-ideological -- all are welcome. Maybe not?

This is NOT an indictment of all the celebrations that went on last night (and may still be going on!) There's LOTS to celebrate! AND if cohousing is to reach its full flowering then it must be a possibility for ALL people -- not just liberal/progressive people.

Ok.  You can now start throwing bricks and tomatoes at me!

:-)

Best --

Ann Zabaldo
Takoma Village