Re: Best Places to Advertise for New Members
From: Michael Barrett (mbarretttoast.net)
Date: Tue, 2 Dec 2008 14:40:43 -0800 (PST)
This is about a place to perhaps not  advertise.

When Liberty Village Cohousing in Libertytown, Maryland was forming a decade ago and pushing to initially sell lots, we were advised that paid advertising in local newspapers was useless for our purpose. Knowing better (huh), and theorizing about consistent multiple appearances of a consistent advertisement, we spent a small ton of money over a spring and summer in the local newspaper, the Frederick News-Post. (Its present circulation is about 40,000 copies).

Result: Not a single response. But we did confirm the correctness of the advice we ignored. However, as others on this thread have said, getting articles published in the local paper was easy - and free - and did generate interest and contacts.

Next Spring, Liberty Village expects to be able to move forward with its long delayed Phase 2, selling another 10 lots for building on. It's a beautiful rural community, 14 miles from Frederick and about 50 miles from both Baltimore and Washington DC.

Michael Barrett - now at Shadowlake Village, Blacksburg VA.