Re: Not sure about the legal system for troubled teens
From: Sharon Villines (sharonsharonvillines.com)
Date: Sun, 14 Dec 2008 15:08:35 -0800 (PST)

On Dec 14, 2008, at 2:23 PM, Eris Weaver wrote:

Bringing in the legal
system is a last resort, and only done for the safety of the rest of the family... one of the things I have learned over the past year is that after you have tried everything else you know how to do, you have to do what you can to save the rest of the family. And I have seen too many communities
fail to make that judgment call soon enough.

In our case the family found that they needed to call in the police in order for other services to become available. I can't at this moment remember the details but city services are pegged to various levels of disturbance and these have to be documented. The police and other social services agency reports are required to expedite services.

Police and other agencies can also be good sources of information and advice.

Neither the police nor social services agencies are necessarily adversarial or punitive. They can be very helpful. My son is a police officer and I've worked with many more officers in college-level studies. They define their jobs as peace-keepers. They are very good street anthropologists and sociologists. My son has an incredibly keen sense of people and what they are likely to do next.

On this list we've had the same conversations about lawyers as we have about police, some believing that calling a lawyer is the worst thing you can do. Our lawyer is non adversarial and in a simple phone call can help us find ways to view situations and resolve them amicably, often without further action on her part.

Sharon
----
Sharon Villines
Takoma Village Cohousing,Washington DC