Equal Balance in Use of Common Facilities [was Re: What are communities doing now that we arehittingdifficult financial times?
From: Sharon Villines (sharonsharonvillines.com)
Date: Tue, 23 Dec 2008 07:18:45 -0800 (PST)

On Dec 22, 2008, at 7:42 PM, Kay Argyle wrote:

 While some residents use the laundry more than others, that's
true of all community resources; it's just that loads of wash are more
easily quantified than use of (say) the kids room.

When we moved in, this was my personal philosophy also. With experience, this has not been true. Some people use all the facilities and others use none. I use almost none but do feel the benefit of having them available. For the most part I enjoy seeing others use them and having people in the community who were attracted by those facilities.

We have a donation for the guest rooms because that is easy to "count" but not for anything else, including the laundry. I do think this is unfair. If we expect a donation for one facility, why not others? Some of us collect or pay the donation for non-relatives like people who are hosted for demonstrations of one kind or another or "strangers" from other cohousing communities, but not for family members or friends that we would normally expect to stay in our homes.

The kids rooms benefit everyone because meetings and some meals would be impossible without them. And they cost almost nothing -- the toys are donated or purchased at the local (very good) thrift shop.

To some extent the workshop benefits the community because it is used for repairs but the size is great and the reasons given for keeping the large room are all personal.

Sharon
----
Sharon Villines
Takoma Village Cohousing,Washington DC