County Zoning and Approval Processes
From: Janet H. Pelletier (janetpelletiercomcast.net)
Date: Fri, 26 Dec 2008 05:34:02 -0800 (PST)
Hi Charles,
Get to know the folks in your local government. Go to the county meetings and find out what is happening in your area. You may be so lucky as to hear them expressing concern about sprawling development, overburdened infrastructure, or conservation of open space, and those make good topics to open conversations with them. Regardless, prepare and give a presentation about your group, your vision, what coho is or isn't, and as mentioned earlier, bring along some sketches of what you want to do, or what other typical communities look like. We have also met with our local state representatives and other political influences whom we knew would be sympathetic to our cause. Being able to say that State-Representative so-and-so supports your effort can be really handy to opening minds and doors. I think the most important things that we communicated to our local government were 1) we want to be an integral part of West Grove, not a closed-gate community, 2) we aren't hippies or a religious cult, 3) we support the old-fashioned values of family, neighborliness, community etc, and 4) we care deeply about the environment and our impact on it.

Because we have taken the time to develop the relationships, we are in the enviable position where the local government is encouraging us to write our own zoning. Now all we have to do is get over the last hurdle of our Due Diligence on our little spot in West Grove, and the fun really begins.

Janet Pelletier
Concord Ecovillage
www.concordecovillage.org
Trying to put down roots in West Grove, PA

<snip>
Any suggestions on dealing with a county would be most appreciated.

And Merry Christmas!

Charles Nuckolls
Utah Valley Commons
www.utahvalleycommons.com