Re: Kitchen on public side
From: Sharon Villines (sharonsharonvillines.com)
Date: Fri, 26 Dec 2008 06:50:03 -0800 (PST)

On Dec 25, 2008, at 1:37 PM, David Heimann wrote:

        John's comment about sitting in the living room greeting neighbors
as they pass by appeals to me as well, or would if the living room were
on the courtyard side.

There is a thread on this in the archives, probably several. The thoughts expressed earlier were that the reason for the kitchen on the public side were that the kitchen is where one spent a lot of time. That is not true for many (most?) of us.

But what may be true is that the kind of time one spends in the kitchen is more open to someone dropping in, calling out to someone, or enjoying watching people walk by. It is less meditative time. One is less likely to be sitting there absorbed in a book.

Living room time may be more private and self-contained, more likely to be downtime. I'm not sure I would want to be on view in living areas other than the kitchen.

Sharon
----
Sharon Villines
Takoma Village Cohousing,Washington DC