Re: Kitchen on public side
From: Joanie Connors (jvcphdgmail.com)
Date: Fri, 26 Dec 2008 08:22:34 -0800 (PST)
From what I learned in Coho 08 sessions, it is important to have the common
house kitchen overlooking the common area, since common meals involve large chunks of prep and cleanup time. Unit kitchens can often be small.

Another consideration is the wide variation in the amount of time people spend in the kitchen. Some people almost never cook, or pop things in the microwave. Many of us like to take the time to prepare fresh, healthy and/or international food. I spent a lot of time in the kitchen recently to bake some holiday treats, but that will wane now.

I like the idea of a kitchen with a prep island that overlooks a comfortable dining area and to some degree the living room. The big window towards the commons could be placed somewhere in the middle.

Still dreaming...

Joanie
Silver City EcoCommunity
forming