Re: Green burial
From: Joanie Connors (jvcphdgmail.com)
Date: Sun, 4 Jan 2009 20:27:16 -0800 (PST)
When some friends died 10+ years ago, I did some research into this, and at that point cremation was the most green way to go - no toxic chemicals, no coffin, liners, vaults, - just the energy to burn. At that time, I was told that the state I lived in required embalming otherwise.

It seems that things have changed, thankfully. There is now a green burial movement and green burial council http://www.greenburialcouncil.org/index.htm and Wikipedia has an article http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Natural_burial

According to the council and Green Burial http://www.greenburials.org/index.htm there are ways to bury people without embalming or coffins (with shrouds). There are also green cemeteries that don't have chemically maintained landscapes and that sometimes plant trees over the body. I know that's how I would like to go.

If you are lucky, you might have access to an old noncommercial rural community cemetery, such as my friend was buried in. It would be interesting to find out what is involved in setting up a cemetery on community land. I wonder if the IC people might have more info on this?