Re: Green burial AND CO-HOUSING BURIAL GROUNDS
From: maryvk (maryvktellink.net)
Date: Mon, 5 Jan 2009 05:11:41 -0800 (PST)
Now that you have brought this up, a friend (lives in Colorado cohousing and I
who live in NH  - both states that allow home burials) have heard rumor that
some cohousing communities have started their own burial grounds on the site of
their community.   Any info about this model?

Mary Kaplan
Nubanusit Neighborhood and Farm
Peterborough, NH

---- Joanie Connors <jvcphd [at] gmail.com> wrote:

=============

When some friends died 10+ years ago, I did some research into this, and at
that point cremation was the most green way to go - no toxic chemicals, no
coffin, liners, vaults, - just the energy to burn. At that time, I was told
that the state I lived in required embalming otherwise.

It seems that things have changed, thankfully. There is now a green burial
movement and green burial council
http://www.greenburialcouncil.org/index.htm and Wikipedia has an article
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Natural_burial

According to the council and Green Burial
http://www.greenburials.org/index.htm there are ways to bury people without
embalming or coffins (with shrouds). There are also green cemeteries that
don't have chemically maintained landscapes and that sometimes plant trees
over the body. I know that's how I would like to go.

If you are lucky, you might have access to an old noncommercial rural
community cemetery, such as my friend was buried in. It would be interesting
to find out what is involved in setting up a cemetery on community land. I
wonder if the IC people might have more info on this?