Re: Reality Questions for our new Common House!
From: Kay Wilson Fisk (kwwilsonbartcommunity.org)
Date: Sun, 18 Jan 2009 16:32:12 -0800 (PST)
Bartimaeus Cohousing is in a suburban setting near Bremerton, WA. We have
now been living here for 2-1/2 years. Answers follow.
~ Kay Wilson
------------

Q: Do you lock your Common House?  If so, describe the circumstances. We are
in a very rural, almost no crime area but some of our new neighbors and
guests are city dwellers.

        A: We started by locking the CH, but with 50 some people, including
several renters, we decided that giving out that many keys was a concern.
Fortunately we have one good soul who volunteered to install motion sensors
that are programmed to call him on his cell phone when someone opens one of
the entrance doors between midnight and 6 AM. He has a backup for when he is
out of town, and so far we have had no problems that I know of.

Q: How do you hang coats and store wet and muddy boots?
We need to accommodate 50-70 people.  We have a great mudroom foyer but
decided not to develop built in's etc. until the construction company left
the premise.  We'd love to do hooks especially for children but how can you
do so many????  And mats for boots are great but again it seems like it
would end up a pile?

        A: We got two metal coat racks (at IKEA I think) and placed them
next to our two main doors. Our climate is fairly mild, so boots are rarely
if ever a problem. We have large utility mats to wipe feet on as we enter.

Thank you for your ongoing support.  We encourage you to visit us  when you
are in New England.

Mary Kaplan
Nubanusit Neighborhood & Farm