Re: Reality Questions for our new Common House!
From: David Heimann (heimanntheworld.com)
Date: Sun, 18 Jan 2009 20:26:12 -0800 (PST)
Hello,

1. We have an urban location in Boston, and do lock our Common House. One can get in either by using a key or by using a code on the intercom phone in the main-entrance vestibule. Only 6 of the 30 units are within the secured area of the common house; the others can be reached directly from the courtyard which in turned can be reached directly from the street. Touch wood and all that -- so far in 3.5 years we haven't had a unit broken into, though we've had occasional thefts of bicycles, etc.

2. We have a coat rack in the mail room. There's definitely not enough room for as many coats as capacity in the great room (around 50). However, that's never been a problem since even in the middle of a New England winter people will take the short walk from their units to the common house without heavy coats.

Hope this helps,
David Heimann
Jamaica Plain Cohousing (Boston, MA)