Re: Reality Questions for our new Common House!
From: Lynn Nadeau (welcomeolympus.net)
Date: Sun, 18 Jan 2009 22:06:43 -0800 (PST)
Port Townsend Washington is the sort of place where many people do not lock their houses, cars, or bikes. Crime is rather rare. Locking the common house was a spirited issue! Particularly because our postal mail is there, some members felt strongly that it should be locked. What we settled on was expensive ($1000 ?) but has been satisfactory: the CH front door has an electronic lock which (a) is on a timer to lock at night, and (b) has a keypad: each household chooses their own entry code. During the daytime, the location of the common house is such that anyone around it is in plain view of many households. Usually strangers on site are simply curious, and are usually met and helped.

We have a spacious tiled foyer. It has hooks for coats. Including a low set for kid stuff. We don't have a lot of muddy boots, but we take off our shoes and change into slippers, so shoes do pile up. Members have a cubby with a little bin (simple IKEA shelving) to provide space for personal slippers. A couple of baskets hold "loaner" slippers. Two long benches assist in shoe changing, and also provide more space to pile coats when needed. The main annoyance is when a gang of kids walks in and drops their shoes right in front of the door, instead of parking them off to one side. If anyone had muddy stuff, they could choose to leave it on the front porch, which is large and covered.

Lynn Nadeau, RoseWind Cohousing
where a fleece jacket was enough outdoors today, grass is green, the garden still has carrots, leeks, potatoes, parsnips, chard, kale, spinach, and bits of broccoli....
and we have a really nice spacious home for sale
www.rosewind.org