Re: water filter for the common house
From: Lynn Nadeau (welcomeolympus.net)
Date: Sun, 18 Jan 2009 22:37:44 -0800 (PST)
You would do well to find a local water filtration consultant, if that exists. Otherwise, you can take a variety of approaches. At the main water intake into the common house, you can install a first filter which will simply take ourt rust and particles. There is a canister, mine is clear plastic, and a filter you can change out when it gets icky. That will increase the efficiency and life of the finer filters at your faucets.

For kitchen use, there are quality filters that are not reverse osmosis. The problem with RO is that it wastes a lot of water: for every gallon of water purified, it takes 3-9 gallons of water. If you do want RO, check out Kinetico-- I think they "only" use about three times as much water as you get out of it.

Here, we have rather good City water, but have had a counter-top filter at the beverage-bar sink in the dining room where folks get drinking water. We don't need to filter general cooking water, fortunately.

Lynn Nadeau, RoseWind Cohousing,
Port Townsend WA, where there will be all sorts of celebrations Tuesday (this county had over 91% voter turnout, and I think it was about 85% Obama). Local "change" groups are using it to sign up new volunteers, as well as the dancing celebrations. Tomorrow night a big candlelight vigil, for peace, for awareness of Iraq and Gaza and all the suffering that's still going on; for ML King, Obama, and the whole shebang.