Re: Reality Questions for our new Common House!
From: E Kay Argyle (kay.argyleutah.edu)
Date: Mon, 19 Jan 2009 17:18:23 -0800 (PST)
Wasatch Commons in Salt Lake is in a suburban working-class neighborhood. The
common house is (supposed to be) locked except during events. Someone (rotating
monthly) is assigned to double-check every night that all doors are locked.

If you are like most communities, you'll find that very few events draw the
entire community -- in fact, as time goes by, few draw more than half. It's
nice to have capacity for absolutely everyone, but the great majority of the
time you won't need it. (In fact, a dining room that seats fifty can seem
awfully echoey for fifteen diners.)

Our coat hooks are two levels, shoulder-high for adults and waist-high for
kids. (The hooks on the lower rack are animal heads -- elephants, horses,
flamingos, rhinos, camels.). There are maybe half as many hooks as residents,
quite adequate for most occasions. A rolling clothes rack (with hangers) comes
out a few times a year for large events.

In the winter we put carpet runner near the door for people to leave snowboots
on. I suspect we have a lot less mud than rural New England, however.

Kay