Community-building activities prior to move-in
From: Susana Michaelis (susanapacificgardens.ca)
Date: Sun, 1 Feb 2009 12:05:54 -0800 (PST)
Hello cohousers,

Pacific Gardens Cohousing Community in Nanaimo, BC Canada is 3 months away from our target completion date at the end of April. Yahoo! We still have a great mix of unit sizes, so check out our website if you want to move to beautiful Vancouver Island.

I am looking for suggestions of community-building activities that we could be doing now, in preparation for enjoying each other's company once we move in. A Vancouver Island University student is wanting to use us as a case study for the next 4 months to observe how we create community now and then transition into using our common amenities.

I am really excited as this is a perfect time for us to ramp up the current connectedness that we already have in our meetings and committee work. Currently we have a monthly potluck with a theme, speaker or activity. These have been a lot of fun, educational, and involved wonderful food!

As individuals and in small groups our members are highly involved in the local community and represent a huge range of interests and activities. We invite each other to events, clubs, hikes and dinner parties as part of our increasing friendship amongst members.

I am seeking suggestions for activities that help build cohesiveness and ease the transition to living in community:

1) Activities that your cohousing group did prior to move-in
2) Activities that you wish you had done
3) Activities that continued or started once you were using your common amenities
4) Activities that attracted new members
5) Activities that attracted families with children
6) How to keep connected during the busy move-in and adjustment period
7) Any other suggestions for us, during this pre-completion time

I am really looking forward to hearing from our greater cohousing community,
Thanking you in advance!

Susana Michaelis
www.pacificgardens.ca
250-754-3060
"Where friends become neighbours, and neighbours become friends"