Re: Community-building activities prior to move-in
From: Mac Thomson (macheartwoodcohousing.com)
Date: Tue, 3 Feb 2009 08:11:16 -0800 (PST)
Susana,

Congratulations on your upcoming move-in!

The things I remember as being most valuable and that I'd recommend are:
- training in communication, conflict resolution, and consensus decision making
 - regularly scheduled meetings to share feelings

I'd guess that every group schedules regular business meetings, where feelings are sometimes shared, but these other meetings are intended specifically for emotional sharing. We call ours the Meeting of the Hearts. (We just had a particularly rich one last night.) They are a great way to connect with each other at a deeper level. The deeper connection is what community is all about and makes it easier to work together later on when the road might get bumpy with tough decisions and conflict.

Cheers,
Mac

--
Mac Thomson

Heartwood Cohousing
Southwest Colorado
http://www.heartwoodcohousing.com

"A person who is nice to you, but rude to the waiter, is not a nice person."
     - Dave Barry