Sharing Meetings
From: Sharon Villines (sharonsharonvillines.com)
Date: Wed, 4 Feb 2009 20:33:51 -0800 (PST)
>We call ours the Meeting of the Hearts.

I would be interested in knowing more about this. We have an NVC group but
it isn't the same as a less formal sharing group.

One group I think about organizing but when? A biography group. I did one
years ago a the Unitarian Church. The group shares their life in 5 year
increments. Ages 0-5, 5-10, 10-15, etc. The younger people have only
questions as the group goes on and the older ones have more time, and the
time periods can get longer. Nothing sacrosanct about about the time
periods.

Eastern Village, I heard, also did a sharing in which the older residents
explained what their life was like when they were children.

I began thinking about this again on Martin Luther King Day when my two
grand-daughters came home from school singing what can only be called
ditties singing happy birthday to Dr. Martin Luther King to the tune, I
think, of Twinkle Twinkle Little Star, or something like that. The second
was about "If you miss me in the back of the bus, I'll be upfront just
sitting there" and goes on with verses about "If you're missing me picking
cotton in Mississippi, I'll be up a the law school library." Not exactly the
words.

The school had done an excellent job on explaining the importance of Dr.
Martin Luther King but not really how bad things were before him. I had to
explain Rosa Parks -- that made no sense to them at all.

Having lived through all of that, it was very strange to hear ditties sung
about it. They attend a school that is at least 90% African American,
including the teachers, 5%+ African from the embassies in DC, and the rest
Hispanic and European, so it's evidence of a new stage.

It was an interesting experience to try to explain life in the 1950s, 50
years later. And the sharing of various views of it would be revealing and
bonding.

Sharon
---
Sharon Villines
In Washington DC
Where all Roads Lead to Martin Luther King