Re: House burglary in cohousing?
From: S. Kashdan (skashdancablespeed.com)
Date: Sun, 8 Feb 2009 00:14:21 -0800 (PST)
At Jackson Place Cohousing, in urban Seattle, Washington, we also partake of
both the positives and negatives of urban living. We have had four
burglaries of different townhomes since moving in eight years ago, at the
end of 2001. In all of these cases, wallets, purses and some other things
were stolen. In at  least two cases, the residents were home, upstairs
sleeping. None of the doors in these homes were left unlocked. Some of the
doors were damaged during entry. I think that one home had a closed, but
unlocked, window. We also had a fifth  burglary  occur when one home was
left unlocked on a Sunday morning, so that neighbors
could come in late to participate in a meditation group.  A young woman who
no one knew came in, but didn't join the group. When someone went to check
to see who had come in, she said that she had just come to see if her mother
might be interested in the group. She left right after that. After she left,
the person who lived in
the apartment noticed that jewelry was missing. We have also had a number of
break-ins and thefts of bikes and other items from our common garage. I
can't remember how many.

There are definitely strangers wandering through our property both at night,
and sometimes even during the day. I once met a young man, possibly a
teenager,  standing outside near one of our common house doors. When I asked
him who he was visiting, he said that he was just getting out of the rain.
The only problem was that it wasn't raining! Others have also met strangers
wandering around, with various explanations...

Burglaries and car thefts are not uncommon in our urban neighborhood, not
just
affecting our cohousing community. We may have fewer than neighbors who are
not in cohousing, because we do watch and ask questions when we don't know
someone.

Sylvie Kashdan
Jackson Place Cohousing
800 Hiawatha Place South