Re: Urban Affordable Cooperative Cohousing Communities.
From: Fred H Olson (fholsoncohousing.org)
Date: Sun, 8 Feb 2009 06:41:45 -0800 (PST)
Joani Blank <joani [at] swansway.com>
after deleting remains of digest.

Joelyn, Jennifer and others,

As far as I know, there are only three cohousing communities in the
nation that are structured as cooperatives. They are Winslow Cohousing
on Bainbridge Island in Washington, Eco-Village at Ithaca (don't know if
their two, going on three, adjacent communities are one coop or are two,
soon to be three, separate coops), and I can't remember which is the
third. Berkeley Cohousing struggled long and hard to to decide whether
to be a condo or a cooperative, and ended up getting the city to make a
new designation just for them, a limited equity condominium.

I've heard that the main reason there are not more coop cohousing
communities is that it is extremely difficult if not impossible, to get
construction financing for a cohousing community that plans to be a coop.

As a person who converted her business into a worker cooperative (ask me
if you want to know more about what that is) after 15 years of sole
ownership, I'm much taken with cooperatives of all kinds (coop retail
stores ....aka consumer coops....and food coops, preschool coops,
student housing coops, agricultural coops),

I'd dearly love to see more cohousing communities structured as coops in
large measure because then the whole group owns the community, while
each resident household owns a membership share (which costs a lot less
than it costs to purchase a cohousing condo or townhouse). This means
that it's possible for people with a wider variety of incomes to afford
to live there. And for me and some others, there are some significant
social differences as well. Many people who currently lives in cohousing
would not be attracted to cooperative ownership, for a myriad of
reasons, not the least of which is that in a coop, one's membership
share does not increase in value (no more more than a small cost of
living increase) no matter how long one lives there.

Joani Blank