Re: Investments of reserve funds
From: Sharon Villines (sharonsharonvillines.com)
Date: Fri, 13 Feb 2009 21:30:09 -0800 (PST)

On Feb 13, 2009, at 11:21 PM, Terri wrote:

Does anyone have their reserve funds invested in mutual funds/bonds? If so, who have you used as an advisor? If not, where are your funds invested?

Generally, reserve funds are invested very conservatively -- treasury bonds, CDs, etc.

One other idea that has been discussed is funding the reserves at a basic level and invest additional funds more aggressively. If the funds invested more aggressively are long term investments -- like paying for the roof in 50 years, that might work. But with the current downturn (an understatement!), I'm happy that ours are in CDs.

I recently found a company reporting that communities that fund their reserves below 70% are likely to defer needed maintenance or need to levy special assessments.

http://www.reservestudy.com

There is a lot of other very helpful information here as well.

Sharon Villines
Save Our Planet. It's the only one with chocolate.