Re: Urban Affordable Cooperative Cohousing Communities.
From: Sharon Villines (sharonsharonvillines.com)
Date: Sat, 14 Feb 2009 14:41:32 -0800 (PST)

On Feb 11, 2009, at 9:15 AM, Josh Sharp wrote:

I would like to offer that your explanation, though the current norm,
may be based on thinking that has, in part, led to the economic
troubles we face.  That is, that home prices will continue to
increase, indefinitely.  May I also offer a link to a web site that
has some very good information  on this matter:

http://www.chrismartenson.com/crashcourse

This is an interesting site by a person who is living life very differently than many of us. He is also very smart and has the right education to enable him to live this way. In addition to reducing his cash outlay and this carbon footprint, however, he is earning a lot of money with his investments. Three times more, if I remember right, than anyone else who was investing his money when he was working and turning it over to them.

So he is earning his living not by making goods or providing services but through the financial system, the same one that has brought us into this crisis. I'm not saying that is a bad thing to do but it isn't different than investing in one's home.

The price of homes doesn't continue to go up and up, but having one that appreciates or depreciates at market rate is more likely to keep most of us even. I wouldn't want to live in a community where no one could afford to move if they fancied that they wanted to. It breeds discontent.

Sharon
----
Sharon Villines in Washington DC
Where all roads lead to Casablanca