Re: Urban Affordable Cooperative Cohousing Communities.
From: John Faust (wjfaustgmail.com)
Date: Sat, 14 Feb 2009 12:49:39 -0800 (PST)
Ed,

Thanks for the article. It's probably not surprising that it would be
difficult to "hold the line" in that environment (prior to collapse). As the
world around you is "cashing in", it would be hard to maintain an island of
affordable housing subsidized only by personal sacrifice. But that is one of
the costs of economic bubbles, they distort (pervert) everything including
good intentions like trying to create enduring (and affordable)
neighborhoods.

I don't think that house-as-investment vs house-as-place-in-community is
really a personal choice. I suspect it has to be a cultural choice. Given
the utter failure of the current flatulent (or stinky bubble) capitalism, we
might be seeing some major shifts in the way we view life, including how we
view our homes.

John

On Thu, Feb 12, 2009 at 8:46 PM, Flowers <flowers2 [at] sonic.net> wrote:

> Hi,
> Here is an article from the New York Times, written in 2006, at the top of
> the "bubble." It shows how emotional the subject of affordability vs.
> investment can be:
>

> http://www.nytimes.com/2006/03/10/nyregion/10resale.html?ex=1299646800&en=35cd65aad927118e&ei=5090&partner=rssuserland&emc=rss
>
> Ed Flowers
> Yulupa Cohousing
> Santa Rosa, CA

The classical steady state takes the biophysical dimensions—population and
capital stock—as given and adapts technology and tastes to these objective
conditions. The neoclassical "steady state" takes tastes and technology as
given and adapts by growth in biophysical dimensions, since it considers
wants as unlimited, and technology as powerful enough to make the world
effectively infinite.—Herman Daly

At any given moment there is an orthodoxy, a body of ideas which it is
assumed that all right-thinking people will accept without question. ...
Anyone who challenges the prevailing orthodoxy finds himself silenced with
surprising effectiveness.—George Orwell