hostile comment to Fort Collins newspaper article
From: Muriel Kranowski (murielkvt.edu)
Date: Tue, 17 Feb 2009 20:34:40 -0800 (PST)
Did anyone else see the very hostile comment that a reader sent in to the Coloradoan's version of the AP article on cohousing? The comment was posted earlier today (Tuesday); you can find it after the end of the article at http://www.coloradoan.com/article/20090217/LIFESTYLE/902170305 (bottom of page 2)

The reader, jlbraun1, wrote:
Just where I want to live! A super-HOA where "the community" gets a say on what goes on inside your house too! I have an interest in this topic but I have read many many many (many!) reports of co-housing developments disbanding because of petty infighting and feuding over things like "who left the lawnmower out" or "you broke the communal stove, you should pay for it!" or "your kid stole my tools!" Classic tragedy of the commons problem.

And that's not even getting into the ideological isolation that comes with choosing to live and more-or-less exclusively associate with people that agree with you on whatever issues you deem important - whether that's "Christian values" or "living in harmony with Mother Earth".

Get to be friends with your neighbors. Check up on the old people. Assemble a list of all the phone numbers on your street. Start a neighborhood watch. Hold a block party. You can create a wonderful tight-knit community much more easily than this article describes.
2/17/2009 9:49:10 AM
------------ end of comment --------

Are there really cohousing communities that dictate what the inside of your house has to be like (other than building similar units, as every developer does as much as possible, to keep costs down), or that disbanded after people had moved in and community life had begun because of the kinds of interpersonal disputes given as examples? jlbraun1's comments seem to me to be irrationally hostile and not true to coho reality, but my knowledge base is rather limited.

If a cohousing-l list-member with much more extensive personal experience of coho communities than I would take the time to respond to that comment, in a reasonable and informative style, that would be a good thing. (You'll have to register on the Coloradoan website first, as usual.)

  Muriel Kranowski