Re: qualifying a block as legitimate
From: John Faust (wjfaustgmail.com)
Date: Mon, 6 Apr 2009 19:09:40 -0700 (PDT)
At this site <http://www.consensus.net/>, there is a fairly thorough
consensus document (pdf) that can be downloaded. It discusses (briefly on
page 18) that a block should be *legitimate* and in accord with the
"principles" of the organization. It has always appealed to me as a way
around arbitrary or spiteful blocks.

My understanding is that the block would have to show that proceeding with
the action would in some way violate the principles, vision or mission of
the group. That would likely include placing undue burdens on some members.
I don't think it is that hard, in most cases, to construct a credible
argument for a block given the fuzzy, multifaceted nature of the context
most of us operate in. It is when no such argument can be made that the
block becomes arbitrary and obstructive. For the serious participant, it
isn't a difficult hurdle to clear.

If someone isn't that good at constructing arguments, the sympathy of some
members of the group would likely help with that task. Honest dialogue
includes recognizing the legitimacy of opposing views.

John Faust