Re: Liability Insurance for non-HOA neighbors Using Common House
From: Sharon Villines (sharonsharonvillines.com)
Date: Thu, 23 Apr 2009 09:34:50 -0700 (PDT)

On Apr 22, 2009, at 5:19 PM, Hank Obermayer wrote:

There are issues coming up regarding liability and liability
insurance for use of the common facilities by residents of the non-
HOA housing, or events hosted by those non-HOA community members.

You need to talk to both your lawyer and your insurance agent. To the insurance agent state it as a hypothetical. "What if we..." how much would it cost to cover our liability or are they included as guests, etc.

Our lawyer said we are a condominium by legal definition. We can do anything a normal condo would do. That includes guests of homeowners, whether they come individually or in groups for a meeting.

If we rent it is a different can of worms. The insurance agent would have to figure out the necessary liability. We don't rent but require that any group using the CH be hosted by a member and we request a donation, money or a gift.

She said fi we had members who were not homeowners, we wouldn't fit the definition of a condo. In the event we did this we would have to find an appropriate legal structure to account for that.

This consultation was just after we moved in and she said we had too many other things to think about so we should wait. Once we were up and running, we could see that we had too many of our own things to manage to take on other members.

In your case, you already have all those people. i would suggest the structure we use which is the guest hosting. This has not only covered us legally but ensured that cleaning and care of the space and guests is the responsibility of someone.

Sharon
----
Sharon Villines in Washington DC
Where all roads lead to Casablanca