Re: Furnishing your common house kitchen - commercial or home grade?
From: Lynn Nadeau (welcomeolympus.net)
Date: Fri, 1 May 2009 11:30:11 -0700 (PDT)
Sometimes there is middle ground. Our Dacor gas cooktop is way beyond what I myself would consider residential, but it's not commercial. With six burners on flush grills, there is no limit to the size pot you can put on it. There is also a grill plate that fits on top for making lots of pancakes, for example. We have found it very functional, cooking for 20-50, with at least weekly meals for 30. Didn't need grease-fire suppressors or any such, or higher insurance. Our hood might be commercial, not sure: it's stainless, has lights, fan speeds.

In talking to other communities about refrigerators, many told us their commercial fridge was so noisy they had to turn it off when people were gathered for a meeting or a meal. Be sure to check out noise factors.

Our commercial dish sanitizer is excellent. No question we're glad we went that route. Fast - a few minutes per tray, no leaning over, no door that folds outwards. Easy to load the racks. We just got it checked, after 9 years of service, and it was mechanically fine.

Lynn Nadeau
RoseWind Cohousing, long built
Port Townsend WA
www.rosewind.org
One lovely sunny home for sale. Seventy degrees out today.