Re: Your best elevator speech of cohousing
From: Sharon Villines (sharonsharonvillines.com)
Date: Tue, 5 May 2009 07:32:11 -0700 (PDT)

On May 4, 2009, at 4:33 PM, Raines Cohen wrote:

* I know my neighbors

I find that people react to this one with shock and surprise: "You know all your neighbors?!?!!!!!" That reaction could take three floors even if it has high ceilings; five with a fast elevator.

If they are onsite, they look out at the building, seeing the number of windows and balconies that go with 43 units, and look amazed.

Then I say I know their children's names, where they lived before they moved here, how they get to work, whether they are vegetarians or not (though I forget this often), pretty much where they work (or not), and where they went on vacation. I also have emergency information for many in case something goes wrong.

Then they tell me they don't know their neighbors at all. Most they never even see walking down the hall or to their cars in the driveway. They can tell me how many they wave to or greet at the elevator -- rarely more than from 2-3 houses or 4-5 apartments.

If they have lived in a stable neighborhood where there are lots of kids, there is more interaction and they will know the people with kids the ages of their own. Since kids no longer go to neighborhood schools in many places, even this is less common.

Sharon
----
Sharon Villines
Takoma Village Cohousing,Washington DC