Re: USA Today Article on Silver Sage and Senior Cohousing
From: Craig Ragland (craigraglandgmail.com)
Date: Wed, 6 May 2009 14:07:46 -0700 (PDT)
Hi Chili Head / Isolated in Indiana,

You correctly point out that most Cohousing opportunities involve home
ownership. Of course, this is also true for most housing opportunities in
general... In the United States, buyers have many more choices and more
control over their living situations. Renters are dependent on what has been
created by owners (private or public) and made available as rentals.

Fortunately, there are a number of cohousing owners that are renting spaces,
either all or part of units. The challenge of course for all that want to
live in cohousing is the limited number of available homes and the
particular match with your needs. This is especially the case when people
have particular locations in mind, other than:

SF Bay Area (CA) - Highest number
Puget Sound (WA) -2nd highest number
Denver (CO) Area - 3rd highest

At this moment, there are 5 rentals listed in the classified ad section of
the Cohousing Website:

http://www.cohousing.org/marketplace

And others could likely be found if you dig through the directory:

http://www.cohousing.org/directory

Its also possible for some to find "hidden rentals" through their contacts
with current residents of existing communities. Some Cohousing rentals and
purchases are filled by people who are already in relationship with specific
communities. Some communities experience very high demand, while others have
homes left vacant for months, and even years.

I'm also frustrated by the current housing and broader economic decline.

On a personal level, my wife and my "net worth" has gone WAY done, including
the assessed value of our cohousing home. This is true for most Americans.

Since we're fortunate to be in a situation where our income remains close to
our cost of living (which is very modest), we have not had to touch our
highly depreciated assets. Our highest cost continues to be our health care
insurance, which I sure hope allows us weather any major health issues that
lurk in our future.

I wish you the best of luck and hope that something good works out for you,
regardless of whether or not it involves cohousing.

It may be best for you to explore alternatives to Cohousing, especially
given your time-frame. I imagine there are some local senior centers and
other non-profit organizations that may be able to help you find appropriate
situations.

Regards,

Craig Ragland
Executive Director
Cohousing Association of the United States (Coho/US)
425-487-3550
http://www.cohousing.org
craig [at] cohousing.org

Please consider attending the National Cohousing Conference. Click here:
http://www.cohousing.org/conference