New Brighton, Columbia Ecovillage (was Re: USA Today Article on Silver Sage and Senior Cohousing)
From: Craig Ragland (craigraglandgmail.com)
Date: Thu, 7 May 2009 14:25:14 -0700 (PDT)
When I had the opportunity to visit Randa and others at New Brighton
(Central California coast), I got to see an approach toward cohousing that
I'd not seen before - conversion of existing, conventional multi-family
housing into cohousing:

http://web.mac.com/newbrightoncohousing/iWeb/newbrightoncohousing.com/Home.html

Another new community using a similar approach, on a larger scale with more
extensive remodeling/additions, is Columbia Ecovillage (Portland, OR):

http://www.columbiaecovillage.com<http://www.columbiaecovillage.com/Home.html>
http://www.columbiaecovillage.net/
I last saw Columbia as they were just starting construction - and now people
have started moving in.

Both also have homes for sale.
There are other, similar conversions - I expect this will become an
important portion of the broad Cohousing movement. Just think of the vast
number of existing apartment buildings, townhouse complexes, condominium
developments, and more.

It is easy to think of Cohousing as being about new, purpose-built homes
with common houses. Cohousing continues to emerge in a variety of other
"form-factors"... I can't wait to see what's next.

Craig