Re: Senior Cohousing / rental / http
From: Sharon Villines (sharonsharonvillines.com)
Date: Sat, 9 May 2009 06:07:18 -0700 (PDT)

On May 9, 2009, at 8:36 AM, Fred H Olson wrote:

But "rental" can just mean someone other than the occupant owns
the unit. Are there communities that require owner occupancy?

We require that units not be owned for "investment purposes" and we limit leasing of units to 3 years.

Part of the reason for this is absentee owners. Owners are by law part of our decision-making process. They need to be involved with the community if they are going to participate in decisions about how residents live. How does an absentee owner participate in consensus? In some crucial areas, their aim won't be the same as that of residents.

On the whole, with one exception, those leasing units have been involved with the community -- but we also have had very few instances to compare.

I think if someone in the community were to buy a unit to rent, the restriction on rentals would be waived. The problem is absentee owners -- however well intended they are.

Sharon
----
Sharon Villines
Takoma Village Cohousing,Washington DC