Re: Senior Cohousing / rental / http
From: VAN DEIST (vandeistmsn.com)
Date: Sat, 9 May 2009 06:59:57 -0700 (PDT)
Here on the west coast of Florida, we have been working towards the development
of an elder cohousing project for over three years.  When our group began
meeting, it became clear that there were several issues about which the members
were concerned that would preclude a "seniors only" project.  High among those
issues was the concern that members' offspring could be excluded from living in
an inherited unit because of their age.  Our "accommodation" was to redefine
our project as "elder rich" which we considered as having an emphasis on "aging
in place" in general and more specifically in the requirement that the
community support a "concierge" service patternened after the Beacon Hill
Village project in Boston.  The ages of our group range from the mid 50's to
the early 70's, and our purpose is to live in community and to support one
another in our aging process.

Having visited Silver Sage and having spoken with several residents there, I
remain committed to the proposition that we, seniors, share some common bonds
and priorities that define our community differently from the intergenerational
model and that it is our best interest to follow our own vision.  At our age,
we are in a process of deminishing abilities, acceptance of limitations &
assistance, and a comradarity of life's circumstances.  We are not
exclusionary; we are "birds of a feather."

Van Deist, 67 y/o
Venice, Florida