Re: Senior Cohousing / rental / http
From: VAN DEIST (vandeistmsn.com)
Date: Sun, 10 May 2009 05:01:53 -0700 (PDT)
Although the rental issue might still require an enlightened
investor/developer/sponsor, affordability through smaller homes on smaller lots
has been dealt with in Washington State for some time now.  The Cottage Company
(www.cottagecompany.com<http://www.cottagecompany.com/>) has developed several
"innovative land use stategies" for local governments in that area.  In
essence, this "Cottage Development Code" permits higher density through an
equation of one 600 sq.ft. cottage equals 1/2 of a dwelling unit and of one 800
sq.ft. cottage equals 3/4 of a dwelling unit.  I serve on the Seniors Advisory
Council for the Sarasota County (FL) Commission, and we are preparing a
recommendation to adapt a simialr zoning code here.  To review these codes, go
to the Cottage Company's website; click on Planning; and then, click on
innovative land use in the second paragraph's context.
Van Deist
Venice, FL