Re: Backyard Cottages:P accessory apartments
From: Rob Sandelin (floriferousmsn.com)
Date: Mon, 11 May 2009 10:02:31 -0700 (PDT)
It can sometimes be much easier to add accessory dwellings after final
inspection than on the original plan. This requires some thinking during
building about where to put plumbing and electrical stubs. For example, in
building my home, I put a bathroom and a plumbing stub for a "future utility
sink" in my basement. I also ran a 220 line which is still in the wall. If I
wanted to convert my basement into an apartment I then have the needed
utility infrastructure to do so.

There are a several apartments within the houses here and as long as the
square foot size does not exceed 30% of the total square footage of the
home, then there are no issues with the county. But all of them but one were
built after final inspection and done with remodel permits which are much
easier to work with.

Rob Sandelin
Sharingwood Cohousing