Reminder: Cohousing Movement co-founder in Berkeley tomorrow evening
From: Raines Cohen (rc3-coho-Lraines.com)
Date: Tue, 19 May 2009 08:11:06 -0700 (PDT)
I'm just sharing this little reminder of tomorrow evening's Berkeley
talk with Chuck because some folks reading my first announcement
thought it would be only about "senior" or "elder" cohousing.

As the 90-year-old said (so they say), "I don't want to go to the
retirement home, it's full of old people!"

This event will not be that: we're welcoming participation from
cohousers of all ages (we can set up a kid-play space in the next room
or out on our clubhouse's sunny deck if people are interested) and if
you work 'til 5, no problem, just join us when you can.

We are definitely inviting folks from the area's many
intergenerational cohousing neighborhoods, and of course Chuck has had
a hand in importing the movement from Denmark and has designed all
kinds of cohousing neighborhoods for all ages, and affordable housing
inspired by similar design principles.

"Aging In Community" is a movement encompassing all ages... it is a
process that begins at birth. It is about building in understanding of
the aging process into our social structures and our physical
environment, making sure that the support we need will be there when
we need it, and that we build bridges between ages and understanding
and fully tap the experience and wisdom and skills accumulated on the
path of life.

(plus, I gotta say, this "Senior Cohousing" book is misnamed, it is
more than 80% applicable to intergenerational cohousing, with more
color pictures of intergenerational cohousing in the U.S. than any
other book in existence, and plenty of words of wisdom and clear
diagrams that all communities, built and forming, would be
well-advised to read)

In any case, I'm looking forward to seeing some of you there. RSVP's
are greatly appreciated to help us set out enough chairs for
everybody. Here's a reprise of the original announcement, in case you
missed it:

Please join us this Wednesday, May 20, in welcoming to the East Bay:
cohousing movement co-founder, author, Nevada City cohousing resident,
father, husband, and award-winning architect CHUCK DURRETT to
celebrate the launch of the second edition of his book, Senior
Cohousing (now published by New Society Press), in a rare area
appearance.

RSVP requested (not required) via the East Bay Cohousing MeetUp group,
please forward and tell your friends who may be interested:

http://www.ebcoho.org/calendar/10393576/

(you can also RSVP via the upcoming.org web service if you don't want
to join our free group, the largest Intentional Communities MeetUp
group in the world)

http://upcoming.yahoo.com/event/2674915/

Join us for interactive discussion of Aging In Community issues and
the state of the movement in the U.S., and what Chuck learned in his
extensive research in Denmark. Meet Certified Senior Cohousing
facilitators who trained with Chuck and sign up for new study groups
forming to create senior and intergenerational cohousing in the area.

Get the book, get it signed, and meet other people (of all ages)
living in and seeking community.

Make your community vision a reality, and learn about other upcoming
opportunities and openings in Berkeley/Oakland cohousing neighborhoods
and co-ops.

The event will run about 4:30-6:30 PM (don't worry if you can't make
it at the very beginning, we'll get you caught up as soon as you
arrive and save you some drinks) at the East Bay Cohousing clubhouse
in downtown Berkeley: 2105 MLK at Center Street. Light refreshments
will be served. Optional vegan/raw food potluck dinner to follow at 7
PM, please RSVP separately for that using the link from the above
event page.

Downtown Berkeley BART is just 2 blocks away - exit via the main
escalator and walk down Center Street, and take a right on MLK, we're
on your right. Several AC Transit buses stop nearby. If you drive, be
sure to feed parking meters (they take credit cards, change not
needed) or use free 2-hour permit-parking-zone areas further west on
Addison below MLK; the lot out front is entirely reserved; paid lots
are available 1 block away on Addison above MLK.

This event is free for current paid EBCOHO and Bay Area Community Land
Trust (BACLT) members and anyone buying Chuck's new book; for
everybody else, we ask a $10 contribution per person at the door for
refreshments and space rental. You can join EBCOHO at the door for a
year, save $20 off the monthly rate, and get a free Cohousing
Coaching session, discounts on events, and a free cohousing book (not
including Chuck's new edition).

Raines Cohen, community organizer, East Bay Cohousing
http://www.ebcoho.org/

Cohousing Coach, Planning for Sustainable Communities
Excited by progress in two cohousing group meetings the last two
nights: Philadelphia Cohousing Initiative and Altair Cohousing
(Kimberton, PA); tonight: a peek at Brooklyn Cohousing's new site