Re: A composting program at a LARGE cohousing -- How??
From: John Beutler (jabeutlercomcast.net)
Date: Wed, 27 May 2009 15:05:38 -0700 (PDT)
Our solution at Liberty Village is --- chickens !

They will happily eat pretty much any food scraps, with the exception of eggshells (you don't want them pecking their eggs, which they will do, if given eggshells), citrus and a few other foods. The main benefit versus composting is that they are FAST. The scraps are gone before the rats and flies get half a chance. We probably have a dozen families plopping food scraps into the chicken pen (16 hens and a rooster) and rarely are there any scraps left over. One could overload the system, I suppose, but that's very rare in our case.

Of course, then you have to dispose of EGGS ! Our favorite ways are ice cream, quiche, deviled eggs, flan, pecan pie....

We do have a compost pile and the chicken manure goes in there with ground up plant materials, and that goes back in the garden, in which the chickens run in the offseason.

Cheers

JAB