Re: Rental Cohousing Opportunity
From: Craig Ragland (craigraglandgmail.com)
Date: Thu, 28 May 2009 06:25:55 -0700 (PDT)
This is very similar to how my community (Songaia Cohousing: 35 people in 13
homes on 11 acres near Seattle) got going. Some of the most committed shared
two homes on the property from several years during its formation.  The
final part of the "big hairy project" part of our community development was
remodeling the two homes into three private homes and our common house and
adding five new duplex buildings.

We all acted as "renters," even those holding the title - which shifted
across the project's lifecycle as part of our financial development
strategy, i.e., retiring the mortgage at the right time by adding new
owners.

Acting as renters enabled us all to pay the mortgage on our highly desirable
real estate, while the group of future home owners came together.

For some of us, myself included, our relatively low rental costs enabled us
to save enough and develop incomes suffiicient to enable home ownership.
When my family joined the Songaia Community (in 1992), we could not have
possibly qualified for a conventional mortgage. By renting, we not only
reduced our costs, but were surrounded by people who provided some guidance
and support as my wife and I built our careers and assets to make getting a
home loan (in 2000) easy.

This was a long, difficult journey, but one that I'm so grateful that the 13
family members and those who went before us achieved.

Craig Ragland
Songaia Community member since 1992
Songaia Cooperative resident from 1992 to 2000
Songaia Cohousing owner since 2000