Re: Intentional community blogs, forums
From: Craig Ragland (craigraglandgmail.com)
Date: Sat, 30 May 2009 16:08:34 -0700 (PDT)
There are, of course, many blogs available on the websites of individual
communities - some delve into the topics Robert L yearns for, but they
mostly seem to focus on communicating with prospective future members. This
seems to be growing to connect with people who are watching, but have not
yet "risked" two-way communication. One of our current members told me they
followed our website (songaia.com), and those of two other Puget Sound
forming groups for almost 2 years before they decided to contact us. They
came for a visit, joined us, then ultimately moved in. Now, they've been my
neighbor for about 9 years.

As for active discussion of community theory, design, structure, etc. - I've
witnessed this almost entirely face-to-face. In private meetings with
cohousing activists and professionals. in small group gatherings (especially
within forming groups), amongst academics, and, of course, at large events.
Some regional groups also host events with that intention.

My guess is that to meet the needs that Richard L. expresses, he needs to
delve into the academic world. There are many active intellectual dialogs
that are inclusive of the needs of intentional communities. My assumption is
that today, this type of active "discussion" is not in online blogs as much
as in emails, papers, dissertations, books, articles, conferences, and the
many other ways that people communicate, including... face-to-face.

As much as some of us might like to have all things online, all the time...
most of our world "just don't happen" by sitting at home, browsing, reading,
and typing away at our computers.

Now its obvious that  I'm an active online communicator myself.

But I can testify that the things I do that are the most appreciated by the
people I know best are physical, they are real, and are not about typing
words. This morning, I mudded and taped the ceiling of one of Songaia's
guest rooms (now under rennovation). Tonight, I'll walk next door to help
Fred get into bed - it takes a Hoyer lift to transfer him from his power
wheelchair to his bed, and its just too much work for Nancy to handle alone.
Both of these actions are appreciated far more deeply than are these words,
but, of course, only by a few people.

Typed words can inspire, can influence, can inform and all kinds of other
good stuff, but to truly impact most people the most deeply, we need to be
there for them, where they live. We need to open our arms to help a dear
friend, grab a putty knife and spread some spackle, fix some food to share,
or clean up after a nice meal.

Don't get me wrong, I believe in sharing our words, our ideas. But my direct
experience is that for most, to have a rich community life requires work and
play and hugs - all in the "real" world. I look forward to seeing some of
you again in Seattle... and let's hug if you would like.

Craig