Re: Seeking advice on getting past idea stage
From: R.N. Johnson (cohorandayahoo.com)
Date: Mon, 1 Jun 2009 10:24:07 -0700 (PDT)
My best advice would be not to focus on everyone's "dream" home, but to focus
on the commonalities between you, and what people's "must haves" are.  You will
never be able to fufill everyone's vision of their dream home, and can spend
years trying to. The community I live in did not get serious until we had a
group of people willing to step away from their vision of the perfect home, who
were willing to focus on what was most important to us: living in community.
Our "must haves" were affordability, easy access to public transportation, room
for some community gardening, and location. Many of us had dreamed of a
location that was more conducive to solar energy (only two of our buildings get
enough sun), closer in to Santa Cruz, room for a large garden, but we decided
that living in community now was more important than pursuing the dream of  a
perfect community.
When you decide what your vision is, you will lose some people whose vision is
different, and find others.  The best example I have is a lovely community
minded couple who left because they wanted us to promise that we would have
fireplaces in the homes.  This was not a central value to most of us, and we
would have never have gotten off the ground had we continued to try to include
everything in our vision.
Good Luck!
Randa Johnson
New Brighton Cohousing