Call for Articles, Communities #145: Health and Well-Being
From: Communities Editor (editoric.org)
Date: Mon, 1 Jun 2009 22:46:38 -0700 (PDT)
Hello,

/Communities/ magazine is now seeking articles for issue #145, “*Health and Well-Being*.” The issue will be out in December 2009.

Please send your article idea to editor [at] ic.org by *Monday, June 29*, or sooner if possible.

Your final article must reach us by *Friday, August 21*.

1. Theme articles: /*Health and Well-Being
*/

   * What role does community play in supporting health and well-being?
   * If you live in an organized intentional community, how does it
     address individuals’ health and well-being needs?
   * Have you experienced community-based alternative forms of “health
     insurance”? Were they effective?
   * Please share stories of illness and physical- or mental-health
     challenges, and how your group dealt with them. (These may include
     long-term/chronic illness, disabilities, cancer, communicable
     disease, medical emergencies, life transitions,
     emotional-/spiritual-/mental-health crises, or other
     events/conditions.)
   * Have you found certain health-care modalities especially effective
     in a cooperative setting?
   * How do you support your own health and well-being in community?
     What “works”?
   * What is the role of emotional and spiritual well-being in overall
     health of community members?
   * What niches, roles, or structures still need to be developed
     within your group in order to assure optimal health and well-being?

[Please forward this email to anyone you think has a good story on this theme for /Communities/.]

2. We are also seeking articles about:

   * Creating community in your neighborhood;
   * Starting a new community;
   * Process and communication issues in community; and
   * Seeking community to join.

Suggested submission length is from 300 to 2500 words. We invite submissions ranging from short vignettes to extensively-developed articles, and also invite suggestions of recommended resources and article leads. We’re seeking articles written in a reader-friendly, popular-magazine style, rather than in an academic style. We ask contributors to share stories and experiences, not just ideas; write about challenges, not just successes; and describe specific situations that will help your story come alive for the reader. Before you start writing, please check http://communities.ic.org/submit.php or contact us for our full Writers’ Guidelines--and let us know your article idea so that we can give feedback on how it may fit into /Communities/. Contact Chris Roth at editor [at] ic.org or 541-937-2567 ext. 116.

If you don’t want to write an article but want to submit photos, please check http://communities.ic.org/submit.php or contact Yulia Zarubina at layout [at] ic.org for our Photo Guidelines.

*I. What "Submitting an Article" Means.* We will promise to read your article, but we may respectfully decline it and not publish it, or save it and publish it in a future issue. We also reserve the right to edit, shorten, or revise your article. Most of the time we contact authors about this ahead of time and get their comments, corrections, etc.

*II. Getting Permission Ahead of Time.* Please send the article only when you have permission from anyone you need it from, such as fellow community members. It’s difficult for us to get all set to run an article only to find that the author’s fellow community members say No at the last minute.

*III. Publication Rights.* Once your article appears in /Communities/, we own first North American Publishing Rights. This means your article appears in /Communities/ the first time it appears in North America. In addition to appearing in /Communities/, your article may also appear on our website or in future compilations. You retain all other rights to it. If you’d like to use it elsewhere, you can, and we would appreciate your using an attribution line saying, “This article first appeared in /Communities: Life in Cooperative Culture/, (date); for further information on /Communities/: communities.ic.org <http://www.ic.org/>.”

*IV. Photos.* If we publish your article, we want to accompany it with compelling images that illustrate your subject. You know your subject best, so we are appealing to you for images. If others in your community or group like taking pictures, they might already have great images to go with your article. If you would like to submit an article but cannot supply photos, that’s fine; however, please give us plenty of advance notice so that if we use your article we can get an illustrator. Please check http://communities.ic.org/submit.php or email us for our full Photo Guidelines. We also appreciate an author photo to accompany your short (several-line) author bio.

Thanks for your contributions!

Chris Roth
Editor, /Communities/
editor [at] ic.org