Re: A composting program at a LARGE cohousing -- How??
From: John Beutler (jabeutlercomcast.net)
Date: Wed, 3 Jun 2009 19:08:56 -0700 (PDT)
Yes, people have done this, but I have enough trouble with egg eating that I feed them crushed oyster shell instead.

Cheers

JAB

At 06:50 PM 6/3/2009, you wrote:

"[Chickens] will happily eat pretty much any food scraps, with the exception

of eggshells (you don't want them pecking their eggs, which they will
do, if given eggshells) ..."

When gas stoves still had pilot lights on the burners, Dad kept a metal
coffee can over one and saved eggshells in it. Once or twice a week, he'd
crush the thoroughly dried shells to about the consistency of rolled oats or
very coarse cornmeal, and put it in a separate small feeder, so the hens
could take however much they wanted. It served both as calcium
supplementation, which laying hens need, and grit for their digestion.

Kay
Wasatch Commons

database 4128 (20090603) __________

http://www.eset.com