Re: Age diversity in Cohousing in England
From: Diane (dianeclairegmail.com)
Date: Tue, 9 Jun 2009 09:26:00 -0700 (PDT)
Hi Alan,
Here at Cambridge Cohousing we too were concerned about having a range
on ages and family types.    So, from the start, we decided to reserve
one-third of our units for families with children under 15 because, in
our urban setting, that was the hardest group to attract.   We do have
a variety of unit sizes from studios to four bedroom town houses, but
that doesn't seem to be the deciding factor as we have a family with
children in a one bedroom unit and a single person in a four bedroom
town house.

We are a very stable community with, on average, one turnover each
year.  We have 41 units.   Given this stability, we are gradually
loosing our children as they go off to college and becoming seniors as
we age and retire. When we do get a vacancy, we do all we can to
attract young families.  But it doesn't always work.   Our units are
quite expensive because Cambridge is quite expensive.   There were
attempts initially to limit the amount of profit those who left the
community could take with them in order to create an affordability
fund with the difference, but those efforts met stiff opposition and
failed.