Re: Just Move Forward! & "Pioneers & Settlers" re Solar Village in Utah
From: Sharon Villines (sharonsharonvillines.com)
Date: Fri, 12 Jun 2009 06:01:35 -0700 (PDT)

On Jun 12, 2009, at 8:31 AM, Diana Leafe Christian wrote:

        However, some early members leave when things get too real. They step
back and take a "wait & see" attitude. They want to know how the
project will turn out before they invest their heart, time, energy,
and money. I call these folks "settlers." Many of them will join the
community, but later, after the pioneers have made some progress
first. The settlers  return, and bring their checkbooks.

Thanks to Diana for a clear statement of why the early action works. I just want to emphasize that many settlers just don't have the time or resources to be pioneers. Although some pioneers are also lacking in time and resources, an inner entrepreneurial vision gives them extra energy, sometimes at the expense of other aspects of their lives.

An example of some settlers' position in life is the distinction I first learned about in the 1960s. The people who were most likely to take to the streets in protest were the middle class students who had parents at home to bail them out of jail and who were paying their tuition which made them less likely to be expelled from school. The students on scholarship who were working to support themselves _and_ their younger siblings at home, could not afford to take those chances.

So in the interests of supporting those who need cohousing and creating a good place for them to live, don't expect potential settlers to be able to get into the trenches with you. They are already exhausted. And you will need them just as much when you get built as you think you do now.

Raines makes very good points for ongoing inclusive thinking, but waiting for the future to happen instead of creating will most likely result in no future that fits your dreams.

I looked at the Utah Commons website this morning, however, and much of the early information has been taken down. What gives?

Sharon
----
Sharon Villines in Washington DC
Where all roads lead to Casablanca