Building own house in cohousing
From: Matthew Waugh (mattwaugh34yahoo.com)
Date: Mon, 15 Jun 2009 07:04:28 -0700 (PDT)
My wife and I have been investigating cohousing for several years (mostly in
New England, but also in North Carolina and New York) and we have mostly found
that it is out of our price range.  When we visited Two Echo Cohousing one
member told us about First Day Cottages, www.firstdaycottage.com.  We would
really like to build a first day cottage at cohousing, particularly in New
England, as it is near family, but we have not found a place where that is
possible.  The only place it looks like it could have been possible is the
Eco-Village at Ithaca in their second village but that was built when we were
just starting the process of looking into cohousing.

Does anyone have any ideas on how this could be possible?  I think that
building your own affordable home with a small footprint would fit very well
with cohousing.  I am unwilling to give up the idea of living in community as I
think it is essential for my family and I very much want my son to grow up with
it.  Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.  This is very important to us.

Thank you,
Matt Waugh
mattwaugh34 [at] yahoo.com