"Instant Cohousing" Move-In-Ready apartment in Oakland (CA) great neighborhood: onsite meeting Sunday PM
From: Raines Cohen (rc3-coho-Lraines.com)
Date: Fri, 19 Jun 2009 09:41:57 -0700 (PDT)
Join other potential members of this move-in-ready affordable North
Oakland (CA) cohousing community for a private East Bay Cohousing tour
of the site after the public open house this Sunday and be part of a
facilitated discussion about the property and process, followed by a
walk to optional dinner at a nearby Piedmont Avenue restaurant. Learn
how we can reduce risks and work together effectively to secure the
site and build community, and get a better deal than individual buyers
could. Get involved now to get the best choice; unit selection will be
in order of joining this core group. We've had a couple of site visits
and meetings already in the past week since learning of this
opportunity, and there seems to be strong interest.

Learn more, see photos (in the "About" section), and RSVP via East Bay
Cohousing (free to join):
http://www.ebcoho.org/

This is an existing 10-unit move-in-ready renovated apartment
building, in a prime location, at an affordable price: even dedicating
one unit as a common house, purchase prices could average $250k per
unit with seller financing including closing costs and group
development; why rent in isolation when you could be living in
community near San Francisco in a matter of months for perhaps just
$25,000 down and around $1,000 a month in mortgage payments.

We visited and think the design has great potential as cohousing if a
group makes one of the units into a Common House. We are working to
help interested people meet each other, see the place, and get the
resources and support they need for fast action to make this into a
community.

Our buyers' agent, Mickey Tenenbaum, is working with us to get a group
together to secure a "free look" (no risk, fully refundable)
short-term option so we can schedule inspections, get estimates for
any needed work, and quickly assemble the community. We've got a whole
series of visits, briefings, and workshops planned - see the East Bay
Cohousing calendar for details.

Time is of the essence - there's an independent offer in on one of the
units already, but the seller is cooperating and has written contracts
that would let us trump that if we act as a group to buy the whole
thing; if you're at all interested, get involved now. If you can't
make this meeting, please RSVP "No" and note your interest in the
comments, and get in touch with us - we are planning a series of
meetings, but if you wait, it may be gone.

Some basics about the property:

* Beautifully-renovated 1 & 2 bedroom units
* All units open to a lush courtyard
* Stainless steel appliances
* Hardwood floors
* WALK TO PIEDMONT AVENUE!

Here's more about the property (from the seller): Located just a block
away from one of the East Bay's most desirable neighborhoods --
Oakland's Piedmont Avenue. Fantastic restaurants, cafés, boutiques,
and movie theater are all within walking distance. Great commuter
locale! 1 mile to BART; just 10 miles to San Francisco. Howe Street
intersects with 40th Street at the corner, so commuting to Emeryville
is a breeze! (or to MacArthur BART via the Kaiser shuttle or bus or
bike)

(the name Kaiser-Piedmont Cohousing is just a placeholder to refer to
the location, a block to Piedmont Ave. and Kaiser's Oakland health
center, just off MacArthur Blvd. near 38th; not connected with Kaiser
Permanente, Kaiser Health or the City of Piedmont)

Raines Cohen, Cohousing Coach http://www.CohousingCoach.com/
Planning for Sustainable Communities

Community Organizer, East Bay Cohousing
http://www.ebcoho.org/