Meeting quorum questions
From: David Entin (davidentincomcast.net)
Date: Fri, 19 Jun 2009 05:36:16 -0700 (PDT)
A neighbor at adjacent Pathways Cohousing called me to inquire about quorum
requirements for their meetings, which are one over half the member households.
 However, they are having difficulty achieving a quorum at meetings where
business decisions need to be made.  I told her that our community had recently
lowered our quorum from 14 (exactly half of the 28 households) to 10 to ease
obtaining a quorum at meetings.  She pointed out the problem is a quorum
requirement is listed in the by-laws, which are often incorporated into
mortgage documents, as required by lending institutions.   To make a change
would in turn therefore require amending all mortgages in the cohousing
community, a difficult and perhaps expensive task.  She asked me to put this
question up on the cohousing listserv to ask for comments and suggestions on
this matter and how other communities deal with difficulties in achieving a
quorum or lowering the quorum for business meetings.   Thank you.   David
Entin, Rocky Hill Cohousing, Northampton, MA.