Re: Meeting quorum questions
From: Sharon Villines (sharonsharonvillines.com)
Date: Sat, 20 Jun 2009 15:17:53 -0700 (PDT)

On Jun 20, 2009, at 2:26 PM, John Beutler wrote:

At Liberty Village (Libertytow, MD) we have a proxy system whereby
different folks "hold proxies" for others.

Proxies that mean "I consent to anything you decide" or "I consent to the proposal"?

The problem with proxies for anything other than saying, I consent to _anything_ you decide, is that they negate the importance of information. Unless the meeting is just a rubber stamp, one would expect information to come out in the discussion that might influence the decision. There might also be amendments.

Since the number of consents is meaningless in consensus decision- making because it's all or nothing, a proxy could only be meaningful to establish quorum.

Sharon
----
Sharon Villines
Takoma Village Cohousing, Washington DC